I speak and teach regularly—in person and online.
My most popular talks are these or variations on these topics:
I have lots of variations on this talk, which stems from my TEDx talk and which inspires writers and authors to think more broadly about their work and the impact it can and will make in the world, beyond needing a gatekeeper to say yes, or affirm that the book is worthy of being published. This talk always inspires and helps writers to stay the course and remember that there are many ways to achieve the publishing dream.
Paths to Publishing
In this talk, I help writers and authors navigate the ever-changing world of book publishing to understand what’s out there, what paths might be best for them, and why traditional publishing is not the one and only way forward for most writers.
What it Takes to Finish a Book
In this talk, I support authors to consider what it takes to get the work done, and believe me when I say that discipline and time management is the least of it. This is an inspiring talk for writers needing a bit of a shot in the arm, and always has writers feeling supported and energized at the end.
The Craft of Memoir
I teach all sorts of memoir workshops, from the broad to the specific. I can do daylong intensives, three-work workshops, and one-hour classes on topics ranging from Mastering Memoir and The Craft of Memoir, to more specific breakout classes about structure, or scene, or reflection and takeaway. I am happy to craft a memoir class to suit your groups needs, and I’d love to!
Conferences and organizations where I’ve spoken on-stage include:
- TEDx Traverse City, 2018
- San Francisco Writers Conference, keynote 2020
- Publishing University, keynote 2018
- Publishing Professionals Network Annual Conference, keynote 2016
- Story Circle Network, keynote 2015
- Bay Area Book Festival
- Her Spirit
- Tucson Festival of Books
- Erma Bombeck Writers’ Workshop
- Kauai Writers’ Conference
- San Miguel Writers’ Conference
- Milford Readers and Writers Festival
- San Diego Writers’ Festival
- Bookbaby Independent Writers’ Conference
- AWP: Association of Writers and Writing Programs
- Pacific Northwest Writers’ Conference
- California Writers’ Clubs, various
- Book Passage
Organizations and events where I’ve spoken or taught online include:
- Publishing University, keynote 2022
- Story Summit
- Five Things through Extended Session
- National Association of Memoir Writers
- NaNoWriMo, National Novel Writing Month